Wharton Still Working to Secure FEMA Funding

“There’s a lot of people that are still in need from the flood,” Dorsey said.

It has nearly been a year since flooding devastated the West side of Wharton. The city is still waiting on FEMA to approve funding to help their city repair, and they will submit for more funding to cover 2015 and 2016.

“What happens if there is another flood waiting from 2015 and 2016 and we are still in danger of another flood what about the community you could understand their frustration and anger,” Dorsey said.

The city says that their hands are tied and that FEMA is in the driver’s seat and they have no choice but to wait.

“Maybe if it was somewhere else maybe they would act faster but it’s not fair to the people here they are still human and they still deserve a decent way of life,” Dorsey said.

The four grants that the City of Wharton applied for 2015 and 2016 will total up to $14 million. FEMA will cover 75% and the city has to come up with the other 25%. Citizens are growing more vocal as they hope the city can secure 100% of funding without leaving the burden on home owners affected by the floods.

“That would be awesome and help a lot of people and ease a lot of minds here on this side of town but I don’t see it coming in that soon so you’re still looking at the frustration and the hopelessness of the community,” Dorsey said.

Comments

comments