VISD’s ‘Winter Wonderland’ event reaches students with complex needs
Victoria ISD's Special Services Department to host its 8th annual 'Winter Wonderland' event
VICTORIA, Texas – On Thursday, Dec. 2, Victoria ISD’s Special Services Department will host it’s 8th annual “Winter Wonderland” event. The event will take place from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. for students with complex needs within the district.
“Winter Wonderland” is 100% a donor-funded, volunteer-run event. It was developed specifically for students to participate in a traditional celebratory event made to meet their unique sensory, developmental and social needs.
During the event, students will have access to:
- visiting with Santa and Mrs. Claus,
- experiencing Toyland-themed décor,
- receiving gifts for all 260 of our most severe and profound students,
- completing with fine motor and communication-themed activity stations,
- holiday stories, cookies and punch with VISD’s therapeutic staff,
- taking class pictures,
- a silent auction and lots more.
“Winter Wonderland” is also designed intentionally to introduce students to a variety of cultural holiday celebrations from around the world. VISD’s Special Services Department has included an assortment of specifically themed interactive stations for all students.
Students will have the chance to participate in the following at VISD’s “Winter Wonderland” event:
- Walkthrough a life-sized Toyland
- Build the arctic neighborhood igloo site
- Engage in imaginary play in the Kwanzaa First Fruit Celebration station
- Attend a teddy bear picnic while building listening skills
- Stretch their imagination at the North Pole Workshop
- Dance and sing Feliz Navidad while shaking their maracas and tambourines
- Complete a toy soldier obstacle course (sensory path)
- Visit with Santa, Mrs. Claus, Toy Soldiers, Barbie and Ken, and a team of elves
“Winter Wonderland” features new themes each year. This year’s theme is a Winter Wonderland in Toyland. In the past, themes have included Winter Around the World, Fairy Tale Winter Wonderland, Candy Land, and Traditional Holiday Stories and Songs.
“We know we are blessed to have this time with our students and staff here in VISD, we hope everyone shares in our goal to provide a celebratory experience that is accessible, developmentally appropriate, and truly joyous,” said Kelli Cotton, Director of Special Services.
Victoria ISD’s “Winter Wonderland” event story can be found here.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY CROSSROADS TODAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.