Stay safe from mosquitos this summer
Mosquitos can spread disease here are some tips to stay safe
VICTORIA, Texas – With summer here, the Victoria County wants people to be aware of the dangers that mosquitos can cause to not only you, but your pets as well. Mosquitos can spread West Nile Virus, malaria, yellow fever and dengue fever.While you are outside enjoying your favorite summer activities, here are some tips to keep those pesky blood suckers at bay.
- Prevent mosquito breeding
- Remove and properly dispose of all unnecessary artificial containers that hold rain water, such as old tires, buckets, cans, etc.
- Overturn water containers when not in use, such as wading pools and flower pots.
- Store boats, wheelbarrows and children’s toys so that they do not collect water.
- Change water and scrub birdbaths, plant trays, pet bowls, etc. inside and outside of the house weekly.
- Keep ponds well-stocked with fish and keep vegetation at a minimum.
- Fill in low lying areas of your yard and flower beds.
- Seal windows and doors
- 4 D’s to protect yourself from West Nile Virus
- Dusk/Dawn are the times of days you should try to stay indoors. This is when infected mosquitos are most active
- Dress in long sleeves and pants when outside.
- Deet (N, N-diethyl-m-toluamide) is an ingredient to look for in your insect repellent.
- Drain all standing water.