No injuries reported following a fire at Citizens Medical Center

Monday morning at Citizens Medical Center, a light ballast caught on fire

VICTORIA,Texas– Victoria fire fighters responded to a fire at Citizens Medical Center Monday around 11 a.m.

Jennifer McDaniel, spokesperson at Citizens Medical Center, said “Monday morning at Citizens Medical Center, a light ballast caught on fire, and was immediately identified and extinguished. All patients and staff are safe, and we are working with the Victoria Fire Marshall to fully evaluate the situation and ensure the continued safety of the hospital.”

The Victoria Fire Department explained on its Facebook page the challenge they faced as we deal with COVID-19 in the community:

“The Victoria Fire Department responded to CMC for a report of a fire on the third floor at approximately 11am on Monday.  Crews arrived to find smoke on the third floor and the fire had been extinguished by CMC staff.  All patients were safe and temporarily relocated until the smoke could be cleared.  The response posed a challenge to the fire fighting operations due to the hospital caring for several COVID-19 patients.  Fire Fighters used a decon process similar to a hazmat response to protect them from exposure to COVID-19.”