(CNN) - Former Red Sox player David Ortiz is out of intensive care two weeks after a gunman shot him in his native Dominican Republic, his wife says.
Ortiz remains at the Massachusetts General Hospital, and is in good condition, Tiffany Ortiz said in a statement issued via the Red Sox.
A gunman shot Ortiz in the lower back on June 9 while he was sitting on a crowded bar patio in Santo Domingo. The bullet passed through Ortiz, perforating his intestines and internal organs. It then hit his friend, TV talk-show host Jhoel Lopez, in the leg.
Following surgery in the Dominican Republic, Ortiz was flown to Boston, where he underwent a second operation.
A friend of Ortiz -- who shared a table with him at a patio bar in Santo Domingo -- was the target of the bungled hit, Attorney General Jean Alain Rodríguez Sanchez said last week.
A total of 11 suspects are in custody and two more are on the run.
- Governor Abbott announces new Uber hub in Dallas
- Uber to open regional hub in Dallas, resulting in 3,000 jobs
- 2 inmates escape from East Texas jail, perimeter fence cut
- Ransomware attack hits more than 20 Texas local governments
- VISD releases new state accountability numbers
- Victoria community urged to help save lives
- UHV soccer hosts first scrimmages of 2019
- Widow of migrant who took his own life sues US government
- Governor brings big tech to the table after El Paso attack
- Governor Abbott announces Texas safety commission