(CNN) - A sequel to "The Bodyguard," starring Princess Diana? It almost happened, says the person who would have been her co-star, Kevin Costner.
Costner had a phone conversation with Diana about the role, he told PeopleTV's "Couch Surfing."
"I just remember her being incredibly sweet on the phone, and she asked the question, she goes, 'Are we going to have, like, a kissing scene?' She said it in a very respectful way," Costner, the Oscar-winning actor and director, said. "She was nervous because her life was very governed. And I said, 'Yeah, there's going to be a little bit of that, but we can make that OK, too.'"
The script came a day before she died
Costner thanks another royal for helping him make the connection with Diana: Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York.
"Sarah was really important. I always respect Sarah because she's the one that set up the conversation between me and Diana," he said. "She was the one that set it up, and she never said, 'Well, what about me? I'm a princess, too.' She was just so supportive of the idea."
Diana was interested in taking on her first acting role, Costner said in a 2012 interview with Anderson Cooper, Vanity Fair reported.
Costner told Cooper that he got a script for the film in August 1997, just a day before the princess was killed in a car wreck in Paris.
- President Trump to nominate Victoria Sheriff O'Connor to serve as US Marshal
- Investigation ensues after Goliad man dies in motorcycle accident on FM 2987
- No injuries reported after tractor-trailer collides with train
- Blood Drive held to support kids with cancer
- Edna ISD Implements 'Guardian Plan' to Protect Students in Mass Shootings
- Coast Guard responds to flooding near Beaumont, Texas
- Man's death blamed on flooding tied to Imelda
- Victoria County Sheriff's to host drug take back event
- Arlington Police have charged former director of Hope Child Advocacy Center
- Goliad couple charged with multiple child abuse felonies
- Goliad County Outreach Completes Renovation
- The City of Victoria is preparing to fix the potholes