VICTORIA, Texas - On Friday, the VISD board of trustees approved a new academic calendar for the 2019-2020 school year which would shorten school days, and change their start and end times.
The changes, which would shorten the school day by thirty minutes for all VISD Elementary, Middle, and High schools, will come into effect starting august 2019. Updated elementary school hours will be 8:00 am to 3:15 pm, while middle schools will be 8:15 to 3:30 and high schools 7:45 to 3:00.
The changes will apply to all VISD schools and will go into effect at the beginning of the new school year.
Press release from VISD:
The Victoria ISD Board of Trustees approved the 2019-2020 academic calendar last night at its January 2019 regularly scheduled meeting. The calendar was developed through a collaborative process that supports students and staff. A Calendar Task Force, that included at least one representative from each campus, reviewed input from students, parents, faculty, and community when creating this calendar.
One important change to note from previous years is a shorter school day and new start and end times for the school day. Elementary schools will now be in class from 8:00 am to 3:15 pm, middle school from 8:15 am to 3:30 pm, and high school from 7:45 am to 3:00 pm.
Other changes include built in enrichment/remediation days to focus on unique needs of individual students and staff development waiver days that will count toward the required instructional minutes for the year.
- Texas gun rights lobby pushing back on calls for new laws
- Family of woman killed in raid welcomes charges
- VISD cuts tax rate by eighteen cents
- Second anniversary of Hurricane Harvey approaches this Sunday
- Cuero Tree Board is asking for help in naming 14 historical trees
- Gov. Abbott holds first Texas Safety Commission meeting on combating hate in Texas
- Consumers can monitor real-time grid conditions on ERCOT's updated app
- Victoria Crime Stoppers searching for man charged with domestic assault
- WWII vets honored in Texas following D-Day events in France
- Hurricane Harvey recovery mattress donation