VICTORIA, Texas - Update 3/19/19
The driver of the 2008 GMC Yukon is identified as 48-year-old Carlos Zamarippa Campos of Hidalgo, and was pronounced dead at the scene.
DPS Trooper Sgt. Ruben San Miguel said the cause of the crash is still under investigation, but they believe Campos may have fallen asleep at the wheel.
At 3:35 a.m. Saturday DPS worked a triple fatality wrong way crash on U.S. Hwy 59 in the southbound lanes near the rest area.
29-year-old Anastacia Nina Guerra of Bloomington and 28-year-old Destiny Lynn Gonzales of Edna died at the scene. They were in the 2011 Hyundai. Guerra was the driver and Gonzales was her passenger.
The name of person who died in the 2008 GMC Yukon has not been released as family members had not been notified at the time of this publication.
The DPS said a 2008 GMC Yukon was traveling north in the southbound lanes. It hit a 2011 Hyundai causing that vehicle to roll onto the passenger’s side.
U.S. Hwy 59 southbound lanes were rerouted through the rest area until the area opened back up at 10 a.m.
- Chain of Christian pregnancy centers to offer contraceptives
- Texas parole board recommends delaying Rodney Reed execution
- Meet Cy Cole: Champion Mini Bull Rider
- Border Crisis: Where are we now?
- Driving safety tips during the holiday season
- VC receives grant to help students with childcare expenses
- Golden Crescent Traffic and Safety Coalition offering free child car seat inspections
- Crossroads Strings' Winter Concert on Nov. 18
- VC's Fall 2019 Student Music Recital to be held on Nov. 18
- Museum to host ‘Happy Birthday, La Salle!' event on Nov. 23
- Welder Center offering ‘The Royal Opera: Don Pasquale' on Nov. 24
- Community Crossroads welcomes Howell Middle School Theater Students