SPURGER, Texas (AP) - An 83-year-old East Texas man has been charged in the fatal shooting of his 47-year-old neighbor over what investigators call a property dispute.
The Tyler County Sheriff's Office says Wilmer Taylor of Spurger was held Monday on a murder charge a day after Jeremy Smith was shot.
Sheriff Bryan Weatherford says the shooting happened Sunday afternoon off a county road near Spurger, a town of about 600 located 120 miles (193 kilometers) northeast of Houston. Several witnesses remained on the scene as deputies identified Taylor as the suspect.
Autopsy results were pending Monday.
A jailer referred questions about Taylor's bond and legal representation to the sheriff, who didn't immediately return messages for comment Monday.
Further details weren't immediately available.
(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Local LGBT group to celebrate National Coming Out Day with weekend BBQ
- Authorities seize more than 1,400 grams of illegal drugs
- Mockingbird Lane traffic changes begin October 15th
- Haunted Zoo is a frighteningly good time in Victoria
- Child cancer activist gets behind the camera with Newscenter 25
- Murder victim's family speaks
- Victoria College selected to participate in Texas Pathways grant
- VC's 25th Halloween Carnival scheduled for Oct. 25
- Red River construction project begins
- Amber Sorensen sentenced to 25 years for the death of her boyfriend
- Community Crossroads welcomes Howl-O-Ween
- Nancy Drew premiere gives away books, fun, and scholarships