LAKE JACKSON, Texas (AP) - A man and woman were shot dead in a shootout with a sheriff's deputy outside a home south of Houston.
The Brazoria County Sheriff's Office says the incident happened about 12:30 a.m. Tuesday.
The deputy tried to stop a car in which the two were riding on Texas 288 Business just north of Richwood, 47 miles (75 kilometers) south of Houston.
A sheriff's statement says the car failed to stop. Instead, it turned onto County Road 687 and pulled into the residential driveway.
When the deputy was stepping from his patrol car, someone inside the suspect car opened fire on him, striking the patrol car. The deputy returned fire, killing 36-year-old Brandon Ray Stansel and 40-year-old Kelly Danielle Brumley.
The deputy, who wasn't identified, was treated for minor injuries.
(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Texas helps families select quality child care
- Vietnam Wall of Honor coming to Patriot Park
- Commissioners approve capital improvement projects in the wake of Hurricane Harvey
- Submissions open for the 2020 Victoria Independent Film Festival
- UHV softball signs two more players
- 18 year old Victoria man arrested for making terroristic threat at Sam's Club
- Crestwood Drive reconstruction to begin August 26th
- "I always say that this is the only disease you lose them twice" says a local event coordinator.
- East football holds Media Day
- Former Yoakum standout Joshua Moore facing gun charges