LONGVIEW, Texas (AP) - Texas Rangers are investigating the police shooting of an 18-year-old East Texas man whom police say raised and pointed a gun at officers.
The incident happened at a Longview apartment complex parking lot late Wednesday morning.
Police Chief Mike Bishop says his officers were looking about 11 a.m. for a vehicle that had been reported as stolen when they came upon a vehicle matching the description and containing two men.
As police approached, one man bolted from the vehicle and fled on foot while the other emerged, drew a handgun and aimed it at the officers, who opened fire.
Bishop identified the dead man as 18-year-old Detravian Allison. He said a second person has been detained.
(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Thanksgiving is by far the leading day for U.S. home cooking fires
- Yoakum Commercial District listed in National Register of Historic Places
- LiftFund and EDA announce $3M investment for small businesses in the Golden Crescent
- Plug Promotions hosts Beauty and Body Expo with Cash Prizes
- Pray for Bloomington Gathers Community for unity prayer
- BBQ cook-off raises funds for volunteer fire department
- Mumphord's Place Bar-B-Q on "The Texas Bucket List"
- Sting operation leads to arrest of two for making and selling drugs
- Border Crisis: Where are we now?
- Airline road closure due to water line break
- Chain of Christian pregnancy centers to offer contraceptives
- Texas parole board recommends delaying Rodney Reed execution