VICTORIA, Texas - Victoria Police Department arrested a man for attempting to steal t-shirts and meat from HEB plus by stuffing them down his pants.
50-year-old Bernardo Arredondo stuffed two t-shirts and some meat down his pants and attempted to leave without paying for the hidden items.
VPD officer Kevin Hinson approached to tell the man he was being arrested for theft.
Arredondo pulled his right hand away several times while gripping an item in his left front pocket and ran towards the parking lot.
Officer Hinson says he was concerned for the safety of shoppers and unsure what was in Arredondo's pocket so he used his taser.
"Where there were civilians in that area, the officer felt the need to have to deploy his taser so that he could get control of the situation, and it was very effective. He was able to do that and take him into custody," explained Lt. Eline Moya of VPD.
The theft charge is elevated to a felony because Arredondo has five other previous convictions of theft.
- Local sponsors spread the Magic of Storytelling in the Crossroads
- NFPA and Home Fire Sprinkler Coalition announce week of action for America's home fire problem
- Two arrested after breaking into cars
- Bloomington ISD Superintendent resigns
- Chewy Chips Ahoy and 2 flavors of Ben and Jerry's recalled
- Second man gets life in prison for role in double slaying
- Four sentenced for using helicopter for sport hunting in Texas
- Retired army officer gets prison in guns case
- Spring cleaning: de-clutter your home and mind
- CCSO captures Texas teen, 4 undocumented immigrants after bail out