MATAGORDA BAY, Texas - Update 10/9/19:
Game Warden, Chelsea Bailey has confirmed that at 7:44 a.m. Wednesday morning, the 19-year-old fisherman's body was recovered deceased by the Texas Game and Wildlife crew.
Original story 10/8/19:
Game Warden, Chelsea Bailey, has confirmed that a 19-year-old male did not resurface at Powderhorn Lake Monday night.
The teen was wade fishing in Indianola where Powderhorn Lake meets Matagorda Bay and witnesses noticed he didn't come back to the surface of the water around 10 p.m.
Emergency crews are still searching the area to locate the young man's body. As of Tuesday morning, the Coast Guard is flying over the area.
"Texas Parks and wildlife has one of their shallow boats equipped with side scan sonar, Bailey said. "Side scan sonar is a technique used that is going to give an image of the ocean floor. The image it's giving us is pulses of sound. It'll be able to pick up images if there's something underwater like debris or possibly a body."
Bailey stated that if his body is not found before sundown Tuesday evening, the search and rescue crews will resume their efforts at 7 a.m. Wednesday morning.
A press release from the U.S. Coast Guard states that the following crews are involved in the search:
- Coast Guard Sector/Air Station Corpus Christi
- Coast Guard Station Port O'Connor
- Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
- Calhoun County Police and Fire departments
- Good Samaritans
- Golden Crescent Habitat for Humanity receives $1.25 M from Qatar Harvey Fund
- One dead after single vehicle crash in Lavaca County
- Family keeps dairy farm going with corn maze
- Our Lady Of Victory celebrates its 25th Annual Parish Fall Festival
- Wharton most wanted is in custody
- Crossroads residents celebrate LGBTQ identities with pride, BBQ
- The Volunteer Fire Department in Nursery held their first Adopt-A-Highway event
- There were hundreds of people gathered in Cuero to watch the Great Gobbler Gallop race
- Game Wardens rescue group in cold waters of San Antonio Bay
- What you need to know to prevent fires in your home this winter
- Local LGBT group to celebrate National Coming Out Day with weekend BBQ
- Authorities seize more than 1,400 grams of illegal drugs