(CNN) - President Donald Trump expressed his support for reinstating Russia into the G7 days before the group of leading industrialized nations convenes for its annual summit in France.
"I think it's much more appropriate to have Russia in" the group, he said during a meeting in the Oval Office with the Romanian President.
"If somebody would make that motion, I would certainly be disposed to think about it very favorably," he added.
Trump's comments underscore the divide between the US, under his administration, and Washington's traditional closest allies.
Trump claimed that his predecessor, President Barack Obama, wanted Russia out of the group because "he got outsmarted."
"I guess President Obama -- because Putin outsmarted him, President Obama thought it wasn't a good thing to have Russia in, so he wanted Russia out," he said.
But the 2014 decision was made by a majority of member countries.
Russia was suspended from the group -- then known as the G8 -- after the majority of member countries united against Russia's annexation of Crimea, which Russia continues to hold.
It's also another example of Trump's failure to condemn Russia for its aggressive behavior and his ongoing push to restore more normal relations.
Trump previously said Russia should be reinstated to group as he departed for last year's summit.
"Russia should be in this meeting," Trump told reporters upon leaving the White House for the summit, which was held in Charlevoix in Canada. "They should let Russia come back in, because we should have Russia at the negotiating table."
- Colt to stop making AR-15 rifles for consumers
- TxDOT is launching a pedestrian safety campaign to help save lives
- President Trump to nominate Victoria Sheriff O'Connor to serve as US Marshal
- Investigation ensues after Goliad man dies in motorcycle accident on FM 2987
- No injuries reported after tractor-trailer collides with train
- Blood Drive held to support kids with cancer
- Edna ISD Implements 'Guardian Plan' to Protect Students in Mass Shootings
- Coast Guard responds to flooding near Beaumont, Texas
- Man's death blamed on flooding tied to Imelda
- Victoria County Sheriff's to host drug take back event
- Arlington Police have charged former director of Hope Child Advocacy Center
- Goliad couple charged with multiple child abuse felonies