(CNN) - A woman and three children were found dead near the Mexico-Texas border, according to Hidalgo County, Texas Sheriff Eddie Guerra.
Guerra said in a tweet that two infants, a toddler and a 20-year-old woman were found dead by border patrol agents near the Rio Grande River, southeast of the Anzalduas Park Sunday night.
The bodies were found in Las Paloma Wildlife Management Area in the southeast corner of the state, the sheriff said.
The FBI will take the lead on the investigation because the bodies were found on federal land.
Agents from the FBI are on scene investigating with the aid of local authorities.
Special Agent Michelle Lee with the San Antonio FBI told CNN, "it's an incredibly heart breaking situation, which seems to happen far too often."
This is a developing story.
- Man, woman killed in shootout with Texas deputy
- Former Texas priest convicted of sexually assaulting child
- Suspicious person arrested after running from police
- City Communications Director announces retirement
- UHV softball earns NAIA academic distinction
- Water and Sewer line work on Crestwood to begin soon
- Rebuild Texas Fund donates $2.3 million to Crossroads organizations
- Victoria teen arrested for strangulation assault
- Dinosaur Fossil found in 1980s in Texas declared new genus, species
- Edna man drowns after kayaking accident in Jackson County