CHICAGO (CNN) - The bomb squad was called to Midway International Airport in Chicago on Monday after a cell phone battery or charger in someone's luggage exploded, police told CNN.
The incident was cleared by the squad and no one was injured, police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said in a tweet.
The bag had been run over by a luggage vehicle and the item did not combust or explode on its own, he said.
"Thanks to everyone for being vigilant and to the firefighters, officers and technicians who assisted," Guglielmi said.
There was no impact on flight traffic, Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Elizabeth Isham Cory said.
CNN's Bill Kirkos and Greg Wallace contributed to this report.
- Mid-Coast Family Services opens warming center
- Ceremony held for Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall
- Multiple agencies tackle gas leak at drilling site near Yorktown
- Local community helps law enforcement arrest fugitive
- Lane reductions begin Tuesday on two major roadways
- Shields Elementary School honors veterans
- Victoria Police searching for man wanted for "Assault Family Violence"
- DPS investigates fatal crash in Lavaca County
- Police department shares crime stats for 2019
- District Attorney Stuart Fryer gives an update on the three Hallettsville faculty members cases
- Michael Cloud Speaks on Impeachment Inquiry and more...
- Funeral plans set for 7 year old Freeport Police officer