AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - An Iraq War veteran with more than 30 years of military service has been named the first female Adjutant General of Texas.
Gov. Greg Abbott on Monday announced the appointment of Maj. Gen. Tracy Norris of Austin, effective Jan. 1.
She replaces Maj. Gen. John Nichols, who was appointed in 2011. Nichols is retiring Dec. 31.
The adjutant general commands personnel of the Texas Military Department and reports to the governor on the Texas Army National Guard, Texas Air National Guard and Texas State Guard.
Norris has served as Assistant Deputy Adjutant General for Army and as director of construction and facilities management for the Texas Military Department.
She previously served in the Army National Guard in Georgia, Florida and Massachusetts and with the National Guard Bureau in Washington, D.C.
- Crossroads residents celebrate LGBTQ identities with pride, BBQ
- The Volunteer Fire Department in Nursery held their first Adopt-A-Highway event
- There were hundreds of people gathered in Cuero to watch the Great Gobbler Gallop race
- Game Wardens rescue group in cold waters of San Antonio Bay
- What you need to know to prevent fires in your home this winter
- Local LGBT group to celebrate National Coming Out Day with weekend BBQ
- Authorities seize more than 1,400 grams of illegal drugs
- El Campo man arrested on child pornography charges
- Mockingbird Lane traffic changes begin October 15th
- Haunted Zoo is a frighteningly good time in Victoria
- Child cancer activist gets behind the camera with Newscenter 25
- Murder victim's family speaks