VICTORIA, Texas - Monday is Veterans Day, and the city of Victoria began celebrating on Sunday. The Warriors Weekend showed their appreciation to all those who have supported the veterans as well as have helped with the Field of Honor.
Many families came out to enjoy a day with their kids and the community. The event had a cookout and a hayride, along with a bounce house for the little ones. The director of the Warriors Weekend, Mike Petrash, wanted to show his appreciation to all those who have contributed their time.
"We decided these guys have been so supportive of us all this time, we just wanted to get them out there and give them the opportunity to understand how much we really appreciate their support all these years."
Along with the supportive community, came out many veterans, who were also honored and very glad to be a part of the event.
"I think it's a wonderful thing they do. It brings the community together. During bad weather you'll see people out here dedicating the flags. You'll see people coming by and there are people get flags. And they come from all over Texas, some of them come from out of state. So it is absolutely the right thing to be doing. In today's world we have a lot of anger in our country and the sacrifices of our military helps bring us together," says veteran Cornell Green.
On the Field of Honor are 53 flags, representing soldiers killed in action.
- VIDEO: Crime prevention officer shares theft prevention tips
- Portion of Water Street near Moody to close Tuesday
- VPD seeking help to identify vehicle used in attempted abduction near Patti Welder
- Local republicans react to impeachment statement from Nancy Pelosi
- Kamin Furniture needs your help Crossroads
- Protect your Christmas gifts from thieves by following these safety tips
- Traffic pattern changes for morning drop-off effective Dec 9 at West High and Cade Middle Schools
- Registration open for Mid-Coast Hurricane and Disaster Conference 2020
- Victoria Police: man attempted to abduct 12-year-old near Patti Welder Middle School
- City of Victoria earns seven state-wide awards for video excellence
- Victoria police warn community about AEP scam calls
- Governor Abbott endorses Senator Lois Kolkhorst for re-election