CALHOUN COUNTY, Texas - Texas DPS, Calhoun County deputies and Calhoun County Fire and EMS responded to a call regarding a two-vehicle accident in Calhoun County at 5:24 a.m.
Michael Kelly Burke, Jr., 35 years old, of Victoria was driving a Chevy Cavalier exiting Calhoun Chemical, LLC preparing to get on Texas highway 185, according to DPS Sgt. San Miguel.
Meanwhile, Rigoberto Genaro Villarreal, 32 years old from Victoria, was driving a GMC Sierra pick-up truck down Texas highway 185 when Burke failed to yield to him resulting in a fatal collision.
DPS Sgt. San Miguel stated Mr. Villarreal's pick-up truck hit the driver side door of Mr. Burke's vehicle.
Justice of the Peace Wesley Hunt pronounced 35-year-old Michael Kelly Burke, Jr. dead at the scene at 5:26 a.m.
Chief Deputy Johnny Krause with Calhoun County Sheriff's Office stated that the two men are neighbors who live in the same street in Victoria.
Chief Deputy Krause explained that the entrance to the chemical plant is near an s-curve on the road that is very hard to see around. He said there have been other accidents there as it is such a dangerous curve that makes it hard to see oncoming vehicles.
Sgt. San Miguel confirmed the driver of the pick-up truck, Rigoberto Genaro Villarreal was taken to DeTar Navarro, but then was flown to San Antonio Medical Center in serious condition.
- Colt to stop making AR-15 rifles for consumers
- TxDOT is launching a pedestrian safety campaign to help save lives
- President Trump to nominate Victoria Sheriff O'Connor to serve as US Marshal
- Investigation ensues after Goliad man dies in motorcycle accident on FM 2987
- No injuries reported after tractor-trailer collides with train
- Blood Drive held to support kids with cancer
- Edna ISD Implements 'Guardian Plan' to Protect Students in Mass Shootings
- Coast Guard responds to flooding near Beaumont, Texas
- Man's death blamed on flooding tied to Imelda
- Victoria County Sheriff's to host drug take back event
- Arlington Police have charged former director of Hope Child Advocacy Center
- Goliad couple charged with multiple child abuse felonies