VICTORIA, Texas - A Victoria teen was recognized by the city Tuesday evening for his efforts to help save Boulevard Park.
Boulevard Park was destroyed after a fire broke out at the playground on March 19th.
Devin Handy began fundraising after the fire to help re-build the park, raising $700 for the repairs.
Tuesday evening, the Victoria City Council honored Handy by recognizing May 21st as Devin Handy Youth Activism Day, a distinction he says he is honored to receive.
“It feels really amazing that I'm being recognized for something that's not impossible to do; that anyonecan do, its just depends on... it depends on if the person's willing to do it,”Handy said.
The money raised by Handy will go toward playground equipment for children in the community to enjoy.
- Texas teen sentenced for school shooting that wounded girl
- Man accused of abducting North Texas girl pleads not guilty
- Woman, toddler, 2 infants found dead in South Texas
- 50 years later, the moon is still great for business
- Learn how to be prepared in an emergency in new six week training program
- Walgreens to provide drug disposal packets free to customers
- Former Texas probation officer charged in adoption effort
- Judge sanctions firm over documents in Baylor assault cases
- Officials: Texas woman playing 'chicken' fatally strikes son
- 2 killed after ski boat collides with bass boat in Texas