VICTORIA, Texas - For the third consecutive year, the Victoria Fire Department received the American Heart Association’s Mission: Lifeline® EMS Gold Plus Award for implementing quality improvement measures in the treatment of patients who experience severe heart attacks.
Every year, more than 250,000 people experience an ST elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI) the deadliest type of heart attack.
According to the American Heart Association it is critical to restore blood flow as quickly as possible by mechanically opening the blocked vessel or by providing clot-busting medication.
“The Victoria Fire Department EMS is dedicated to providing optimal care for heart attack patients,” said Fire Chief Robert T. Fox. “We know that the role of EMS in the system-of-care for cardiac patients is crucial and often sets the course for the patient's outcome.”
“EMTs and paramedics play a vital part in the system of care for those who have heart attacks,” said Tim Henry, M.D., Chair of the Mission: Lifeline Acute Coronary Syndrome Subcommittee. “Since they are the first medical point of contact, they can save precious minutes of treatment time by activating the emergency response system that alerts hospitals to an incoming heart attack patient. We applaud the Victoria Fire Department for achieving this award in following evidence-based guidelines in the treatment of people who have severe heart attacks.”
The Mission: Lifeline initiative provides evidence-based treatment guidelines, tools, training and other resources to support severe heart attack care.
For more information The American Heart Association’s Mission: Lifeline® program, visit heart.org.
The information in this article is from a press release written by Diane Boyett with the City of Victoria.
- Man, woman killed in shootout with Texas deputy
- Former Texas priest convicted of sexually assaulting child
- Suspicious person arrested after running from police
- City Communications Director announces retirement
- UHV softball earns NAIA academic distinction
- Water and Sewer line work on Crestwood to begin soon
- Rebuild Texas Fund donates $2.3 million to Crossroads organizations
- Victoria teen arrested for strangulation assault
- Dinosaur Fossil found in 1980s in Texas declared new genus, species
- Edna man drowns after kayaking accident in Jackson County