VICTORIA, Texas - Devon Energy Corporation has confirmed that crews are still working to control a week-long gas leak at one of their drilling sites north of Yorktown.
A statement from Devon Energy states the following: "Devon and its contractors are making good progress in responding to a well-control incident in southwest DeWitt County, Texas. Since the response began Nov. 1 about seven miles west-northwest of Yorktown, there have been no injuries and work has proceeded safely.
Crews are working quickly to regain control of the well, preparing the site for safely capping the wellhead.
Devon is working closely with local and state authorities, focused on public safety, environmental monitoring and protection.
Out of an abundance of caution, several families in the immediate area of the incident have been evacuated, and Devon is assisting them by providing lodging, meals and other needs. Access to the area within a 2-mile radius of the well location will be restricted for safety until the well is capped.
A number of steps have been taken to contain any fluid runoff at the well site to protect the surrounding environment. Assessment of environmental clean-up requirements is underway in the area and work will begin as soon as it's safe to do so."
We will keep you updated with any new information.
- Experts say primary jobs are key to Victoria's economic growth
- Community Crossroads: Our Saviour's Lutheran Church will host free Thanksgiving meal
- Local business owners start a Thanksgiving food drive
- Suddenlink's customer service complaints are being heard by the Victoria City Council
- What climate change means for the Crossroads
- El Campo ISD employee arrested after hiding camera in boy's restroom at elementary school
- Thanksgiving City closures and trash collection schedule
- Operation Christmas Child is putitng a smile on children's faces around the world
- Speak up if you know someone being bullied, your voice could save a life
- County Sheriff's send letter to Commissioners asking for Harvey receipts
- Wharton Police searching for man wanted for alleged felony
- Man arrested after trying to throw drugs out of moving vehicle