JACKSON COUNTY, Texas - Correction: A previous version of this story gave an incorrect name for the victim. The name has since been corrected. After contacting Sheriff Louderback, further details have been added to clarify the story.
An Edna man drowned after a Kayaking accident at a private pond in Jackson County late Friday evening.
The Jackson County Sheriff's Office says 22-year-old Adrian Alexander DeLeon was kayaking with a four-year-old family member at a private pond near County Road 118 when the kayak tipped over.
DeLeon and a nearby family member were able to pull the child to a nearby bank.
However, according to a family member, DeLeon was weighed down by his jeans, sinking to the bottom of the pond.
Sheriff AJ Louderback says the physical exertion involved in carrying a child, along with wearing heavy clothes, may have played a factor in the drowning, although an official cause has not been determined.
DeLeon was not wearing a life jacket at the time of the incident.
Family members say his father, Derrick Ramos, uncle, JJ DeLeon, and an emergency responder pulled DeLeon out of the bottom of the pond.
DeLeon was pronounced dead at the scene.
Next of kin have been notified.
The child was shaken but unharmed following the incident.
- Victoria man indicted for felony charges
- Driscoll sponsors free CPR course in Victoria
- Delays and closures in the Crossroads
- Governor Abbott attends grand opening of new Dallas Holocaust And Human Rights Museum
- Victoria Police seeking information regarding shots fired on Mumphord Street
- Local vape shop supports national petition to save flavored e-liquid
- No injuries after newly rebuilt home goes up in flames
- Governor Abbott prepares state resources as severe weather approaches Texas
- City of Victoria announces new Communications Director
- Short budget hearing after no one takes the podium at Commissioners Court
- Commissioners approve County Sheriff's Office request to train at airport
- Clean Plate moving to brick-and-mortar store on Airline