JACKSON COUNTY, Texas - Correction: A previous version of this story gave an incorrect name for the victim. The name has since been corrected. After contacting Sheriff Louderback, further details have been added to clarify the story.
An Edna man drowned after a Kayaking accident at a private pond in Jackson County late Friday evening.
The Jackson County Sheriff's Office says 22-year-old Adrian Alexander DeLeon was kayaking with a four-year-old family member at a private pond near County Road 118 when the kayak tipped over.
DeLeon and a nearby family member were able to pull the child to a nearby bank.
However, according to a family member, DeLeon was weighed down by his jeans, sinking to the bottom of the pond.
Sheriff AJ Louderback says the physical exertion involved in carrying a child, along with wearing heavy clothes, may have played a factor in the drowning, although an official cause has not been determined.
DeLeon was not wearing a life jacket at the time of the incident.
Family members say his father, Derrick Ramos, uncle, JJ DeLeon, and an emergency responder pulled DeLeon out of the bottom of the pond.
DeLeon was pronounced dead at the scene.
Next of kin have been notified.
The child was shaken but unharmed following the incident.
- Victoria Crime Stoppers searching for woman wanted for forgery
- M.G. and Lilly A. Johnson Foundation donated $800,000 to UHV
- Nutcracker opening night sold out for the Victoria Ballet Company
- Educators hope access to hearing aids improves with new legislation
- Subway restaurants donate to local food bank
- Community Crossroads: Tips on How to Stay Healthy During the Holiday and Flu Free
- Flounder population numbers cause concern for conservationist, anxiety for fishermen
- Unattended 1 year-old dies in Yoakum
- 19 year-old male arrested for shooting his uncle in Yoakum
- Two car accident on Highway 87
- Naval Air Station Corpus Christi under lock-down Wednesday morning
- Representative Morrison spoke with TWIA about ongoing Harvey recovery