VICTORIA, Texas - Crossroads, if you're looking for a new addition to your family, come out to PetSmart for the Dorothy H. O'Connor Pet Adoption event.
"Hawaiian dog days of summer adoption event, we're trying to get as many dogs adopted as possible. All of our dogs are $150 dollars for their adoption fee, but we also have cats inside and those guys are $100 dollars for their adoption fee," tells Amber Branecky, Event Coordinator.
In addition to trying to get these animals adopted, Dorothy O'Connor Pet Adoption Center is teaching people heat safety tips for pets.
If it's too hot for you to hold your hand on the ground for 5 seconds, it's too hot for dog's paws to be on the concrete.
"When watching the concrete you want to make sure that its not too hot for their paws because it can cause for their paws to blister up. So, if you stick your hand on the concrete and you have to leave it on there for 5 seconds, and if you can't do it then it's too hot for the dogs paws.," Branecky explains. "Also we are making sure they are staying hydrated, not getting over heated as well."
All the money raised will go towards taking care of the dogs at DOPAC's shelter.
"All the money is donation fees so the money for the treats, water, snow cones and the lemonade, its all a dollar and it all goes for the shelter to ensure all of our animals are healthy and happy," declares Branecky.
If you couldn't make it out today, they will have another event Saturday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Victoria Crime Stoppers searching for woman wanted for forgery
- M.G. and Lilly A. Johnson Foundation donated $800,000 to UHV
- Nutcracker opening night sold out for the Victoria Ballet Company
- Educators hope access to hearing aids improves with new legislation
- Subway restaurants donate to local food bank
- Community Crossroads: Tips on How to Stay Healthy During the Holiday and Flu Free
- Flounder population numbers cause concern for conservationist, anxiety for fishermen
- 19 year-old male arrested for shooting his uncle in Yoakum
- Two car accident on Highway 87
- Naval Air Station Corpus Christi under lock-down Wednesday morning
- Representative Morrison spoke with TWIA about ongoing Harvey recovery
- Crime Stoppers searching for man wanted in the murder of Isaac Ybarra in Edna