VICTORIA, Texas - Victoria County Commissioners have approved the commercial contract for a purchase of real property and historic building located in downtown Victoria.
The property the county is purchasing will be used for the Victoria Regional Disaster Response and Recovery center.
After negotiating for at least six months, Victoria County can finally approve the purchase of the building located at 311 E Constitution.
"It's been many months of work and due diligence, but we are finally able to get that approved, and we will be able to close on this next week," adds Ben Zeller, County Judge.
This building will be called the Regional Diaster Response and Recovery Center that will house the Victoria Long Term Recovery Group along with other non-profit organizations.
"With hurricane season upon us we're reminded of how important a role these organizations play, our long term recovery group," tells Zeller.
The center will provide a more effective and efficient delivery of recovery services for disaster impacted residents in Victoria county.
"It'll have warehouse space for emergency related rebuilding supplies, and they will be able to take those donations from the public. They can have a central hub where they can receive things, organize those donations and ship them out," explains Zeller.
This is all being funded through a $1.1 million grant from Rebuild Texas and a partnership with the County and Long Term Recovery Group.
The county will pay $100,000 while Rebuild Texas will pay $400,000 dollars out of the grant money to get the building.
"We will be able to acquire the real estate but also have some money to do the renovations to the building. So I think it's a big win for our community," Zeller smiles.
Zeller adds the Victoria Long Term Recovery Group got a big bang for their buck and is here to stay permanently.
- Widow of migrant who took his own life sues US government
- Governor brings big tech to the table after El Paso attack
- Governor Abbott announces Texas safety commission
- Texas helps families select quality child care
- Vietnam Wall of Honor coming to Patriot Park
- Commissioners approve capital improvement projects in the wake of Hurricane Harvey
- Submissions open for the 2020 Victoria Independent Film Festival
- UHV softball signs two more players
- 18 year old Victoria man arrested for making terroristic threat at Sam's Club
- Crestwood Drive reconstruction to begin August 26th