VICTORIA, Texas - Emergency personnel responded to a fatal car crash Saturday night. A driver struck a bull on Highway 59 killing a 12-year-old boy in the vehicle according to the spokesperson for the Texas Department of Public Safety, Sgt. Ruben San Miguel.
At approximately 9:30 p.m. on Saturday, a 2010 Toyota Yaris, driven by 31- year- old John Michael Jacobs of Victoria hit a stray black bull as he was traveling north on Highway 59.
Though, both Jacobs and the boy were wearing seat belts, the impact was fatal.
The 12-year-old boy was pronounced dead at the scene by Justice of the Peace, MaryAnn Rivera. San Miguel stated that Jacobs was life flighted to Brooke Army Military Medical Center in San Antonio with severe injuries.
San Miguel explained how the crash happened, "Jacobs was traveling north in the right lane on Highway 59. He went over the bridge on the Guadalupe River and as he was coming off the bridge there was a black bull in his lane. He didn't see it, and he struck the bull with the front of his vehicle."
The collision caused severe damage.
San Miguel went on to describe how the "vehicle spun into the other lane, rotating into the median crossing into the Southbound lanes of US 59 and eventually came to rest down the embankment."
Authorities are still trying to locate the bull and its owner.
Jacobs remains in critical condition.
- Victoria Crime Stoppers searching for woman wanted for forgery
- M.G. and Lilly A. Johnson Foundation donated $800,000 to UHV
- Nutcracker opening night sold out for the Victoria Ballet Company
- Educators hope access to hearing aids improves with new legislation
- Subway restaurants donate to local food bank
- Community Crossroads: Tips on How to Stay Healthy During the Holiday and Flu Free
- Flounder population numbers cause concern for conservationist, anxiety for fishermen
- Unattended 1 year-old dies in Yoakum
- 19 year-old male arrested for shooting his uncle in Yoakum
- Two car accident on Highway 87
- Naval Air Station Corpus Christi under lock-down Wednesday morning
- Representative Morrison spoke with TWIA about ongoing Harvey recovery