LUFKIN, Texas - On Thursday, September 12, 2019, Wharton Police Department reported that the First State Bank of Louise, located at 505 E Boling Hwy. Wharton, Texas, 77488, was robbed at gunpoint.
Both suspects quickly fled with an undetermined amount of cash.
A new statement released by Wharton Police Department states that while investigating the aggravated robbery, and with the help of social media, powered by community support, both local and beyond, both alleged robbers were identified within hours as Tony Wayne Mitchell (B/M), and LeEdward Demon Hopkins (B/M).
As the investigation continued, authorities learned of a possible (mobile) location for LeEdward Demon Hopkins near Lufkin, and as such, that information was passed on to the Lukin Police Department for assistance.
Per the information given to Wharton Police by Lufkin Police, on or about 7:10 pm (of September 12, 2019), Lufkin Police attempted to initiate a traffic stop on the suspect vehicle while on Loop 287, which failed to stop, ultimately leading officers on a pursuit that reached speeds in excess of 100 miles per hour.
As the pursuit made its way onto Highway 59, towards Nacogdoches, the suspect's vehicle left the roadway near a golf course, killing the driver, identified as LeEdward Demon Hopkins, the vehicle's only occupant. An undisclosed amount of money was located, along with a firearm.
Wharton Police has stated that Tony Wayne Mitchell remains at-large.
All of this information in this article was posted on social media by Wharton Police Department.
- Victoria Police seeking information regarding shots fired on Mumphord Street
- Local vape shop supports national petition to save flavored e-liquid
- No injuries after newly rebuilt home goes up in flames
- Governor Abbott prepares state resources as severe weather approaches Texas
- City of Victoria announces new Communications Director
- Short budget hearing after no one takes the podium at Commissioners Court
- Commissioners approve County Sheriff's Office request to train at airport
- Clean Plate moving to brick-and-mortar store on Airline
- Local non-profit to team up with Texas Roadhouse
- Victoria Police trying to identify two subjects
- Man with replica BB gun fatally shot by Arlington police
- Partial closure Tuesday on Azalea St. for utilities installation