VICTORIA, Texas - A Houston area couple is in custody after deputies discovered a tightly sealed bundle of money stashed in the front bumper of their car.
The Victoria County Sheriff's Office arrested Ethelbina Martinez on Highway 77 South Tuesday night after searching her vehicle following a routine traffic stop.
Officials say Martinez and her husband, Jose, attempted to smuggle $8,000 in cash from Houston to Rio Grande City.
The cash was vacuum sealed and separated into eight separate one thousand dollar bands, a tell tale sign the money was drug related.
Both Ethelbina and Jose were arrested and booked into the Victoria County Jail on a $10,000 bond.
- Local sponsors spread the Magic of Storytelling in the Crossroads
- NFPA and Home Fire Sprinkler Coalition announce week of action for America's home fire problem
- Two arrested after breaking into cars
- Bloomington ISD Superintendent resigns
- Chewy Chips Ahoy and 2 flavors of Ben and Jerry's recalled
- Second man gets life in prison for role in double slaying
- Four sentenced for using helicopter for sport hunting in Texas
- Retired army officer gets prison in guns case
- Spring cleaning: de-clutter your home and mind
- CCSO captures Texas teen, 4 undocumented immigrants after bail out