AUSTIN, Texas - The Guadalupe River Chapter of Trout Unlimited (GRTU) has announced its lineup for Troutfest TX 2019, and the event promises to be bigger and better than ever.
The family friendly event is a celebration of conservation, fly fishing, ecology and fun. This year, the event will take place February 22-24 at the Lazy L and L Campground in New Braunfels. GRTU has hosted the conservation and fly fishing event since 2008 and over the years it has grown to host over 3,000 people.
“Troutfest TX has become a nationally recognized event in the fly fishing and conservation communities” said Bill Marshall, GRTU Board Member and Troutfest TX’s Co-Chair. “We are continuing to build and improve Troutfest TX year over year by bringing great new exhibitors, activities and some of the top names in fly fishing as speakers to the event.”
The event kicks off with a Friday night fund raising banquet and continues through the weekend with with a Saturday Film Night and a free exposition with presentations, exhibitors and activities on Saturday and Sunday.
The banquet will feature Hilary Hutcheson, the event’s first female Key Note Speaker. Hutcheson is a world renowned fly fishing guide based in Montana, a National Board Member for Back Country Hunters and Anglers and a Brand Ambassador to Yeti, Costa, Fishpond, Orvis and Patagonia.
“People may have New Zealand and Mongolia on their fly fishing bucket list, but Central Texas has been on my list for a long time, not only because of what I've heard about the trout fishing on the Guadalupe River, but because of Troutfest TX,” Hutcheson said, “It looks like it's lined out be a great time, and I feel lucky to be able to attend this year.”
The weekend exposition will include free fly casting instruction from some of the best instructors in the country as well as presentations on local and global fishing opportunities and techniques. Exhibitors will include manufacturers, craftsman, guides and outfitters from around the world.
There will also be numerous kid’s activities, arranged in partnership with Texas Parks and Wildlife, including casting lessons, a casting pond, archery and air gun range. Whether you are a seasoned fly fisher or just have an interest in getting started, Troutfest TX welcomes people of all skill levels.
“One of the objectives of Troutfest TX is to pass on our love of trout fishing and conservation to a new generation and engage newcomers in the sport,” added Lise Lozelle, GRTU Board Member and Troutfest TX’s Co-Chair, “GRTU especially encourages women with an interest in the sport to come out and enjoy the event.”
In addition to Hilary Hutcheson, Troutfest TX will include prominent women from the fly fishing community as speakers, instructors and exhibitors, like IGFA record holder Meredith McCord, FFI Casting Instructor Stacy Lynn, Editor-InChief of Dun Magazine, Jen Ripple and Beverly Smith, Trout Unlimited VP, Volunteer Operations.
Other notable presenters include fly fishing’s top authors and guides, like Mac Brown (Author of Casting Angles), Lucas Bissett (Orvis Guide of the Year), Pat Dorsey (Author and Guide) and Chris Johnson (Living Waters Fly Fishing).
“Troutfest TX is the largest event of its kind in Texas,” said Marshall. “And it is important to note that as a non-profit entity, the money raised from this event supports some truly great causes.”
Proceeds from Troutfest TX 2019 will help support GRTU Youth Programs, GRTU Tomorrow Fund, TU Teen Summit, Casting for Recovery, Project Healing Waters, funding a TPWD Summer Intern on the Guadalupe River, Fishing’s Future, CRRC’s Senior Citizen Food Bank and Reel Recovery.
“Overall, this event is a great way to have a lot of fun and do a lot of good,” said Marshall, “and we hope to see you in February at Troutfest TX.”
Troutfest TX 2019 Schedule
- Friday, February 22: Banquet | 5:30p | Keynote Speaker Hilary Hutcheson | Music, Dinner, Drinks, Silent Auction, Live Auction, Raffles
- Saturday, February 23: Expo Opens | 9:00a – 5:00p | Guest Speakers, Fly Casting, Fly Tying, Exhibitors, Kids Activities
- Saturday, February 23: Film Night | 5:30p | Fly Fishing Film Festival, raffles
- Sunday, February 18: Expo Opens | 10:00a – 4:00p | Guest Speakers, Fly Casting, Fly Tying, Exhibitors, Kids Activities
Limited tickets for the Banquet and Film night are available at grtu.org, the Expo is free.
Troutfest TX 2019 Keynote Speaker:
– Hilary Hutcheson, World Renowned Guide
Troutfest TX Celebrity Guests/Presenters:
– Mac Brown, Author of Casting Angles
– Meredith McCord, Multiple IGFA Record Holder
– Chris Johnson, Living Waters Fly Fishing
– Lucas Bissett, Orvis 2017 Fly Fishing Guide of the Year
– Pat Dorsey, Author and Owner of Blue Quill Angler
– Beverly Smith, Trout Unlimited Vice President Volunteer Operations
For the most up to date information and to get tickets for the Banquet or Film Night, go to grtu.org. Note that last the tickets sold out early, so make sure to get your tickets early.
About Guadalupe River Trout Unlimited
Trout Unlimited is a non-profit, conservation organization whose mission is to conserve, protect, and restore North America’s trout and salmon fisheries and their watersheds for the benefit of future generations.
The Guadalupe River, located in Central Texas near New Braunfels between Austin and San Antonio is the southernmost freshwater trout fishery in the United States. With over 5,000 members throughout Texas, the Guadalupe River Chapter is the largest local chapter of Trout Unlimited.
- Severe weather watch in the Crossroads
- Texans win big with new mobile lottery game app
- $1 million grant to restore college dreams washed away by Harvey
- Train cars carrying ethanol catch fire in Texas derailment
- Titans beat King, keep playoff hopes alive
- UHV Baseball Loses Non-Conference Road Game
- Traffic stop ends with man arrested in 1997 homicide case
- Hundreds flock to the polls for early voting
- SeaWorld publishes decades of orca data to help wild whales
- United Airlines agent charged after racial slur