WACO, Texas (AP) - A Texas volunteer with a Christmas program benefiting children of incarcerated parents has been charged with stealing donations and returning them for store credit or gift cards.
Charabe Melody Allison of Lorena was arrested Tuesday on a misdemeanor charge of theft of more than $100 from a nonprofit and released on $2,000 bond.
Waco police say Allison, also known as Charabe Lampert, was an Angel Tree volunteer.
Sgt. W. Patrick Swanton says there's no evidence of other volunteers involved.
An arrest affidavit says Allison allegedly gave the donations to relatives or exchanged items for store credit or gift cards.
The Waco Tribune-Herald reports some returned items were recognized as donations from a store employee.
A lawyer for Allison didn't immediately return a message for comment Wednesday.
(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Victoria Crime Stoppers searching for woman wanted for forgery
- M.G. and Lilly A. Johnson Foundation donated $800,000 to UHV
- Nutcracker opening night sold out for the Victoria Ballet Company
- Educators hope access to hearing aids improves with new legislation
- Subway restaurants donate to local food bank
- Community Crossroads: Tips on How to Stay Healthy During the Holiday and Flu Free
- Flounder population numbers cause concern for conservationist, anxiety for fishermen
- Unattended 1 year-old dies in Yoakum
- 19 year-old male arrested for shooting his uncle in Yoakum
- Two car accident on Highway 87
- Naval Air Station Corpus Christi under lock-down Wednesday morning
- Representative Morrison spoke with TWIA about ongoing Harvey recovery