DALLAS (AP) - A 26-year-old man has been given probation after pleading guilty to posing as a 17-year-old student so he could play basketball at a Dallas high school and groping a 14-year-old girl.
Under a deal with Dallas County prosecutors, Sidney Gilstrap-Portley was sentenced Tuesday to six years' probation for indecency with a child and record tampering .
Authorities say Gilstrap-Portley claimed to be a Hurricane Harvey evacuee and exploited a Dallas school district policy for disaster victims.
Dallas school district officials say Gilstrap-Portley posed as 17-year-old Rashun Richardson. He eventually enrolled at Hillcrest High School, where he played on the basketball team in 2017-18 and dated the 14-year-old girl while pretending to be a student.
Gilstrap-Portley's cover was blown in May 2018 when one of his former high school coaches recognized him.
(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Victoria Crime Stoppers searching for woman wanted for forgery
- M.G. and Lilly A. Johnson Foundation donated $800,000 to UHV
- Nutcracker opening night sold out for the Victoria Ballet Company
- Educators hope access to hearing aids improves with new legislation
- Subway restaurants donate to local food bank
- Community Crossroads: Tips on How to Stay Healthy During the Holiday and Flu Free
- Flounder population numbers cause concern for conservationist, anxiety for fishermen
- Unattended 1 year-old dies in Yoakum
- 19 year-old male arrested for shooting his uncle in Yoakum
- Two car accident on Highway 87
- Naval Air Station Corpus Christi under lock-down Wednesday morning
- Representative Morrison spoke with TWIA about ongoing Harvey recovery