EDNA, Texas - The sentencing phase resumed Wednesday morning in the trial for Amber Sorensen.
The first testimony came from Zeenath Hirani, a woman who dated Joseph Bazan after Sorensen, and Hirani described a violent encounter with Sorensen.
Hirani said at that time she was in the restroom at Bazan's house and Sorensen came in arguing with him and calling her names. Then Sorensen barged into the restroom and became very aggressive and Bazan pulled Sorensen away.
Next several members of Sorensen's family took the stand, and said they have never known Sorensen to be a violent person, and she wouldn't be a threat to society. The state asked Robert Durham, Sorensen's father, if he thinks probation is the correct sentencing for a person who killed someone? Durham hesitated for a moment, and then he said it "depends on the circumstances."
When the state asked Justin Durham, Sorensen's brother, if he agrees with the jury's decision to find Amber guilty of Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon. He said, "no."
Amber Sorensen was found guilty of Enhanced Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon Causing Serious Bodily Injury to a Family of Household Member on Tuesday. Character statements began Tuesday afternoon and continued into Wednesday.
Currently, both attorneys have presented their closing arguments to the jury. Now it's in their hands to determine if Amber Sorensen should get a prison sentence or probation.
The sentencing deliberation will resume at 8:30 a.m. Thursday morning.
- One dead after single vehicle crash in Lavaca County
- Family keeps dairy farm going with corn maze
- Our Lady Of Victory celebrates its 25th Annual Parish Fall Festival
- Wharton most wanted is in custody
- Crossroads residents celebrate LGBTQ identities with pride, BBQ
- The Volunteer Fire Department in Nursery held their first Adopt-A-Highway event
- There were hundreds of people gathered in Cuero to watch the Great Gobbler Gallop race
- Game Wardens rescue group in cold waters of San Antonio Bay
- What you need to know to prevent fires in your home this winter
- Local LGBT group to celebrate National Coming Out Day with weekend BBQ
- Authorities seize more than 1,400 grams of illegal drugs
- El Campo man arrested on child pornography charges