VICTORIA, Texas - Wednesday afternoon, a federal judge ordered a convicted arsonist to pay $373,370 in restitution to the Victoria Islamic Center to pay for damages to the mosque.
27-year-old Marq Perez is serving out a 24 1/2 year sentence for burning down a Victoria mosque in 2017.
Senior U.S. District Judge John Rainey ordered Perez that once released, he must begin monthly payments of $250.
According to court documents, the Mosque was originally funded and ultimately established by community members in the late 1990's and finally opened around 2000.
- Local sponsors spread the Magic of Storytelling in the Crossroads
- NFPA and Home Fire Sprinkler Coalition announce week of action for America's home fire problem
- Two arrested after breaking into cars
- Bloomington ISD Superintendent resigns
- Chewy Chips Ahoy and 2 flavors of Ben and Jerry's recalled
- Second man gets life in prison for role in double slaying
- Four sentenced for using helicopter for sport hunting in Texas
- Retired army officer gets prison in guns case
- Spring cleaning: de-clutter your home and mind
- CCSO captures Texas teen, 4 undocumented immigrants after bail out