San Diego Zoo employee bitten by venomous snake

SAN DIEGO — A San Diego Zoo employee was hospitalized Monday after being bitten by a venomous snake, officials said.

The incident occurred Monday afternoon as the wildlife care specialist was caring for the African bush viper in a non-public area, the zoo said.

The staff member was taken to a hospital in unknown condition, 10 News reported.

“Although the San Diego Zoo cares for a number of venomous reptiles, incidents like this are very rare, and the snake was contained at all times with no risk of an escape,” the zoo said in a statement.