Hurricane Harvey available aid and helpful information

Unemployment Assistance

You can apply for disaster unemployment assistance under the presidential disaster declaration. Workers who lost their jobs and self-employed individuals who are unable to work due to damage from Hurricane Harvey may qualify for this federal assistance. You can apply online through the Texas Workforce Commission, or by calling 1- 800-939-6631 Monday through Friday 8-5 pm.

The Texas Workforce Commission is accepting applications now through September 27th.

Here’s a look at the counties eligible to apply for unemployment assistance.

Aransas, Bee, Brazoria, Calhoun, Chambers,

Fort Bend, Galveston, Goliad, Harris, Jackson,
Kleberg, Liberty, Matagorda, Nueces, Refugio,
San Patricio, Victoria, and Wharton counties.

Price Gouging

Price gouging during a natural disaster is against the law.

According to Kelly Trevino from the Better Business Bureau, this applies to drinking water, food, medicine, gas and other necessities.

If you are a consumer and you suspect price gouging, you are asked to file a complaint with the office of the attorney general.

Free Replacement ID

The Texas Department of Public Safety is allowing residents who live in any of the declared disaster counties to get free replacement drivers license or id cards. You have to visit a driver license office in person to get the free replacement. The DPS says to bring id and proof of residency with you.

Disaster Assistance

Visit to apply for assistance online. If you experience difficulty applying online, you may also call (800) 621-3362 / TTY (800) 462-7585 to apply during standard hours of operation (7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Eastern Time), 7 days a week. You can also check your application status at Survivors have 60-days from the date of a declaration for Individual Assistance to apply for assistance.

Please note that if you are eligible for an Individual Assistance grant you are not required to pay back the grant to FEMA. There is no income threshold for Individual Assistance grants, but you may be referred to the Small Business Administration (SBA) for a low interest disaster loan to assist in your recovery. These low interest disaster loans for homeowners and businesses from the SBA must be repaid.