Health Dept. Issues Health Advisory in Response to Recent Brush Fires
Victoria, TX – In response to the grass and brush fires that have occurred in Victoria County in recent days, the Victoria County Public Health Department has issued a Health Advisory for citizens in the affected areas with respiratory conditions and breathing problems.
To minimize exposure, all citizens in affected areas are urged to do the following:
1. Stay indoors.
2. Close doors, windows and fireplace dampers.
3. Set air conditioners on re-circulate, with the fresh intake closed.
4. Avoid making indoor air worse with cigarette smoke, burning candles, frying or aerosol sprays. Don’t use vacuum cleaners, which stir up dust.
5. Avoid extreme physical activity.
6. Drink plenty of water.
7. Take extra steps to protect children and older adults.
8. Seek medical care if symptoms become severe.
Symptoms include cough, scratchy throat, shortness of breath, chest pain or stinging eyes.
For more information, contact Lisa Campbell, Director of the Victoria County Public Health Department, at 361-578-6281.