Community Closings related to COVID-19/Coronavirus
This is a running list that will be updated in real time
Below is a list of closings and rescheduled events that community members submitted to Newscenter 25/Crossroads Today. Please call ahead to confirm that your event has been canceled or rescheduled. If you have an event to cancel or postpone, please email the details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2020 Crossroads Pet Expo: Rescheduled to May 9th. Takes place at Sun Valley Ranch 8793 U.S. Highway 87 North.
AARP: AARP is suspending its free tax preparation service hosted by Meals on Wheels Victoria until further notice.
Attic Youth Crafts: The 2nd annual Attic Youth Crafts Show has been rescheduled for July 11th.
Bauer Exhibit Building: In Port Lavaca, the Bauer Exhibit Building and Auditorium is closed to rentals until April 3rd.
Cap Wig Soiree: Verma Foundation’s Inaugural, Cap Wig Soiree event that was scheduled on April 9th is postponed until a later date.
Chick-Fil-A Victoria– Victoria’s Chick-fil-A mobile unit has canceled its appearance at Cuero Regional Hospital on April 7th. All mobile units are postponed for the next 30 days.
Children’s Discovery: The Children’s Discovery Museum is closed until further notice.
Christ’s Kitchen: Christ’s Kitchen will serve one, to go plate per person outside the building until further notice.
Cinemark Theatre: All theatres in the U.S. will close from Wednesday, March 18th until further notice. Click here to learn more about what will happen with your membership and how to refund tickets.
Citizens Healthplex: Will be closed for the next 15 days starting at 9 p.m. Tuesday, March 17th.
City of Victoria Municipal Court: The City of Victoria Municipal Court is rescheduling all defendants set for a March 23-April 2 hearing or court date. The open court docket that was scheduled for March 23 has been canceled as well. Each defendant will receive a written notice from the court advising them of the new date, time and location of their hearing or trial.
The Municipal Court will host virtual court appearances on Mondays and Thursdays at 1 p.m. starting March 23. For more information, visit victoriatx.org/departments/municipal-court/e-court-appearance. Residents are encouraged to explore options for handling citations and other issues remotely by calling 361-485-3050 or visiting victoriatx.org/departments/municipal-court.
Coastal Conservation- In Port O’Conner, the Coastal Conservation 20th Annual Banquet has been rescheduled to September 19th at 6 p.m.
Cuero City Hall: Cuero City Hall will not be open to the public starting on Monday, March 23rd through Friday, April 3rd.
Hiromi Stringer Exhibit: The Nave Museum is rescheduling this exhibition to 2021. The exhibit was originally scheduled to open April 9th and close on May 31st. At the present time, there is no plan to bring in another exhibit. The Museum will be closed.
Homewood Suites: Homewood Suites has canceled its “On The Spot Hiring” that was scheduled to take place on April 18th.
Jackson County Master Gardener Association: Jackson County Master Gardener Association has canceled it’s Saturday, March 21st Plant Sale.
Nave Museum: The museum will be closed until further notice. The next exhibit on the schedule opens June 18.
Our Lady of Victory: Churches in the diocese will not have public Masses through march 31. Priests will continue to celebrate Mass without a congregation and the faithful are encouraged to make a Spiritual Communion at any time. They can still participate through March 31. Priests will continue to celebrate Mass without a congregation and the faithful are encouraged to make a Spiritual Communion at any time. We can still participate in Mass through television, radio and the internet.
Parks and Recreation (City of Victoria): Canceling evens for the next two weeks. The department will be in touch with event organizers who are affected by the cancellations. The department may reschedule its events and will update residents through its Facebook page.
Polo at McFaddin: The Nave Museum’s annual fundraiser has been rescheduled to October 24th. f you have tickets already, they will be honored in October. If you have not yet gotten them, don’t worry – they will be mailed in early October.
Rose Short Experience: is canceled.
Salvation Army of Victoria: Captain Kenny Jones confirms that the following changes will take place at the corps, shelter, soup kitchen and thrift store.
- All worship services have been suspended and will be “live” streamed over the internet via our Facebook page on Sunday mornings at 11:00 am https://www.facebook.com/SalArmyVictoriaTX
- All nursing home ministry, women’s ministry, Home League and other weekday ministry events have been cancelled until further notice.
- Soup Kitchen will continue feeding but has moved to a “to-go” model. Folks will come and pick up a meal at the shelter entrance. They will receive the same quality of care in their meal but in a to-go fashion.
- Thrift Sales are suffering substantially. Employees of the store are working on projects at the corps to prepare our old thrift store to be used for isolating clients whom become quarantined. There are a few hurdles to clear to make this happen. DHQ is onboard with idea. They have suggested a couple of building modifications. I am working with the Fire Marshal, Health Dept, City Manager and others on details. I will keep you abreast.
- All services remain intact but some look different in how we perform them.
Texas Mile: Rescheduled for some time in April/May.
University of Houston- Victoria:
- All events have been canceled for the remainder of the semester, including Prom and the International Festival.
- All in-person classes have been canceled for the remainder of the 2019-2020 academic year.
- Has canceled their study abroad trip to China that was supposed to occur this summer, and their American Book Review book reading. The Homeless Symposium was also canceled due to speaker cancellations, however, the speaker’s reasoning was the coronavirus concerns.
- The University of Houston-Victoria spring 2020 athletic season came to an end on Monday when the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics announced it was canceling the spring 2020 sports season effective immediately due to COVID-19.
Victoria College: Extending spring break until March 29th. Classes will resume online on March 30th. VC canceled all events through April.
Victoria Public Library: Cancelled it’s children and adult events for the week of March 16-20th. The Library will remain open during regular business hours. Future scheduling updates will be posted here and on the library’s Facebook and Instagram accounts. The library is expanding its collections of digital materials on Overdrive, a virtual service available through the library’s website, for those who want to avoid visiting in person.
Victoria Symphony: Victoria Symphony concerts are canceled April, including Downtown Rhythms on the April 23rd and An Alpine Symphony with Sean Chen on the April 25th.However, Maestro One is planning a wonderful 2020-2021 season.
Warrior’s Weekend: rescheduled for August.
Wharton County Junior College: will extend Spring Break, through March 22, 2020 at all campus locations.
The YMCA: Daily hours of operation will be reduced from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., effective TODAY, March 18. Twenty-four-hour access will no longer be available. In addition, laundry services at the Y, all youth sports practices and games, group fitness classes, child watch, and the rec room will all be suspended until further notice.
Around the Crossroads
City of Edna: The City of Edna has postponed Chalk It Up and the Flag City Community Market. The events were set for Saturday, March 14th. The City’s Iguana Fest on April 3rd and 4th also canceled. Those with events scheduled at eh Bauer through April 5, 2020 will be contacted to make arrangements for refunds or rescheduling.
City of Port Lavaca: Effective immediately, all events scheduled at the Bauer Community Center have been canceled through April 5, 2020. The decision has also been made to cancel the City’s 2020 Iguana Fest slated for April 3 and 4.
City of Cuero: The VFW 3917 bingo tournament scheduled for Wednesday, March 18th has been canceled.
City of Yoakum: A full list of restrictions and suspensions that affect citizens of Yoakum can be read here.