Bayfront Peninsula Pier re-opened 1.5 years after Hurricane Harvey

Bayfront Peninsula Pier in Port Lavaca is open once again, over a year since it was closed due to damage from Hurricane Harvey.

The City of Port Lavaca announced the news on their official Facebook page Thursday evening.

The pier had been closed since Hurricane Garvey and was re-built by a local contractor out of Rockport.

The project cost about $360,000. City officials tells us FEMA will reimburse 90% of the costs of the projects, while the remaining 10% will be paid by city.

Following a final inspection, the pier was unofficially re-opened for residents and tourists alike to use.

“[This] makes me feel great cause most of the time we had to do some fishing over in Pointe Comfort or Indianola and it’s a long drive,” explained resident Estevan Ayala. “So, this is gonna make everybody happy.”

The city will hold a ribbon cutting ceremony Saturday, February 9th, at 9:00 am to officially open the pier to the community.