Author: MICHAEL NEDELMAN, CNN

Chickenpox vaccine caused meningitis

Doctors described what they believe are the first known cases of meningitis due to reactivation of chickenpox vaccine in two 14-year-old boys who received both recommended doses, according to a paper published Wednesday in the journal Pediatrics.

Trial: For heart disease, meds may work as well as invasive surgery

High-risk patients with stable heart disease may fare just as well on medications alone, versus having invasive heart operations such as stents and bypass surgeries, according to a major trial. The results were presented Saturday at the American Heart Association's yearly conference.

Cigarette smoking falls to record low in US

Cigarette smoking among US adults fell to its lowest recorded level in 2018: 13.7%, according to a report published Thursday by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

CDC: Vaping deaths often involved THC products, not nicotine

People who died as a result of a mysterious outbreak of vaping-related lung injury often used products exclusively containing THC, the main psychoactive substance in cannabis, according to new numbers released Monday by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Anti-anxiety med recalled due to 'foreign substance'

Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc. is recalling one lot of the anti-anxiety medication alprazolam -- commonly sold under the brand name Xanax -- "due to the potential presence of foreign substance," the company said last week.

FDA takes action against popular vaping brand

The US Food and Drug Administration is going after vaping company Eonsmoke LLC with a warning letter seeking to remove roughly 100 flavored vaping products from the market, saying the company "has ignored the law by marketing dozens of unauthorized e-cigarette products," according to a statement by Acting FDA Commissioner Dr

Person dies after lung illness that could be linked to vaping

Illinois health officials announced on Friday the death of an adult who had vaped and later developed a severe respiratory illness. This is the first such death to be reported amid a growing number of lung illnesses across the country that doctors say could be connected to e-cigarettes.