Area Control Burns Causing Haze and Smoke in Victoria
(VICTORIA, TEXAS) As a result of control burns that are currently occurring in the area, residents in Victoria are experiencing haze and a strong smell of smoke.
For citizens in the affected areas with respiratory conditions and breathing problems, the following is urged to minimize exposure:
1. Residents with respiratory problems should stay indoors.
2. Close doors, windows and fireplace dampers.
3. Set air conditioners on re-circulate, with the fresh intake closed.
4. Avoid making indoor air worse with cigarette smoke, burning candles, frying or aerosol sprays. Don’t use vacuum cleaners, which stir up dust.
5. Avoid extreme physical activity.
6. Drink plenty of water.
7. Take extra steps to protect children and older adults.
8. Seek medical care if symptoms become severe.
Symptoms include cough, scratchy throat, shortness of breath, chest pain or stinging eyes.
For more information, contact the Victoria Fire Department, at 361-485-3450.