• Home

Registration deadline for disaster assistance now November 30

Posted: Updated:

The deadline for FEMA disaster assistance has been extended to November 30th. Federal assistance includes help for temporary housing, rental assistance and repair or replacement of damaged homes for eligible individuals and families who have suffered losses as a result of Hurricane Harvey.

"If you haven't registered already or you know someone who hasn't registered, they should go ahead and apply. If the Small Business Administration can't help you out we're going to send you back to FEMA for their owner program called other needs assistance," said John Frederick, Small Business Administration Public Affairs Specialist. 

The FEMA Individuals and Households Program (IHP) Other Needs Assistance (ONA) helps people affected by a disaster. It provides money, up to the program maximum, for necessary expenses and serious needs, not housing related, that can’t be met through other means.

Other needs assistance under IHP includes:

  • Personal property
  • Childcare
  • Medical and dental expenses
  • Funeral and burial costs
  • Transportation

General Program Requirements

To get help for disaster-related needs other than housing, all of the below must be true:

  • You have losses in a presidentially declared disaster area. 
  • You have no insurance, or have filed an insurance claim but the damage isn’t covered, or your insurance settlement doesn’t cover all of your losses.
  • You or someone who lives with you is a U.S. citizen, a non-citizen national, or a qualified alien.
  • You have necessary expenses or serious needs because of the disaster.
  • You have accepted help from all other sources you qualify for, like insurance or Small Business Administration (SBA) disaster loans.

Certain conditions and limitations apply.

To learn more, visit the Assistance to Individuals and Households Fact Sheet.

Application Process

To start an application, click Apply Online. If you’ve already submitted an application for IHP, you don’t need to do a separate one for ONA.

If you have questions or prefer to apply by phone, you may call the FEMA Helpline at one of the program contact numbers below.

You can also visit a local Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) for help. Use the DRC Locator to find a center near you.

Program Contact Information

For questions or to apply by phone:

  • 1-800-621-FEMA (3362)
  • TTY 1-800-462-7585
  • 711 and VRS 1-800-621-3362

Renters and homeowners must be in a designated county to qualify for assistance. Those counties include: Aransas, Austin, Bastrop, Bee, Brazoria, Caldwell, Calhoun, Chambers, Colorado, DeWitt, Fayette, Fort Bend, Galveston, Goliad, Gonzales, Grimes, Hardin, Harris, Jackson, Jasper, Jefferson, Karnes, Kleberg, Lavaca, Lee, Liberty, Matagorda, Montgomery, Newton, Nueces, Orange, Polk, Refugio, Sabine, San Jacinto, San Patricio, Tyler, Victoria, Waller, Walker and Wharton.

Survivors may register in many ways:

  • Online at DisasterAssistance.gov.
  • Calling the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362
  • Via the FEMA app, available for Apple and Android mobile devices. To download here.
  • Visiting a Disaster Recovery Center (DRC). Find the location of nearby DRCs online.

The following information is helpful when registering:

  • Address of the location where the damage occurred (pre-disaster address).
  • Current mailing address.
  • Current telephone number.
  • Insurance information.
  • Total household annual income.
  • Routing and account number for checking or savings account (this allows FEMA to directly transfer disaster assistance funds into a bank account).
  • A description of disaster-caused damage and losses.

Current Conditions