• Home

Victoria County FD holds deep fried turkey fire demonstration

Posted: Updated:

The Victoria County Fire Department held a demonstration today to show what how not to cook your turkey this thanksgiving.

A crowd of people watched as the Victoria County Fire Department dropped a turkey into boiling hot grease, setting off flames and smoke. The fire department says grease fires caused by deep frying turkeys is the most common incident they encounter for thanksgiving. Volunteer firefighter Mark Banda has some key tips for residents to ensure they do not get caught in a dangerous situation. 

"Make sure you're in an open area. Keep your kids and pets away from the burner. Make sure your turkey is thawed 48 hours beforehand, no entrapped ice inside of the turkey. And, make sure you have an ABC extinguisher on standby. Do not attempt to put it out with water. If you cannot get a hold of an extinguisher, call your local Fire Department."

According to the National Fire Protection Association, cooking fires are four times as likely to occur on thanksgiving than any other day, so make sure you use caution when cooking your turkey this year. The NFPA has some additional tips for people that plan on cooking their turkeys indoors:

  • Stay in the kitchen when cooking to keep a close eye on the food, especially when frying and sautéing with oil.
  • Stay alert and focused when cooking. To help minimize the risk of injury, avoid cooking when drinking alcohol or if you’re sleepy.
  • Use a timer to keep track of cooking times, most notably when cooking a meal that takes a long time like roasting a turkey, baking a roast or simmering. Check the stove or oven frequently. Consider putting timers in different rooms so you can hear them over the music and party chatter.
  • Keep things that can catch fire like oven mitts, wooden utensils, food wrappers and towels away from the cooking area.
Current Conditions
/