Updated: 1/28 8:40 am
On Monday January 21st around 3 am residents at Sage Creek Apartments were awakened by a fire. According to the victims they had to evacuate their homes with just the clothes on their back. Unfortunately, in a blink of an eye, the fire destroyed several residence homes leaving them homeless.
After hearing the story, Alexandra Deckelmann and others rallied together to help out their fellow neighbors. Getting community support and help has been a great challenge.
“I didn't think it was going to be this hard to get donations but because people have taken advantage of the system many business flat out said no," says Deckelmann.
One Victoria business has stepped up. Ashley Furniture has donated a couple pieces of furniture. Residents say it could take weeks or even months for them to recover. If you would like to make a donation you can do so by contacting Alexandra Deckelmann at (361) 827-0727 for more information.
Copyright 2013 Saga Communications, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.