Updated: 3/01 7:51 pm
House Fire on Rio Grande Update
Friday night, we continued to cover a fire that burned a family's home and most of their belongings Thursday evening, leaving a mother and her four small children with little to call their own. However, while no one was injured the family is still in a state of shock as they realize many pieces of their lives are gone.
This however, isn’t the first house fire we've seen this month, not even this week. Last Saturday, a home caught fire, taking with it not only a house, but also a little boy. That tragedy and this one has stirred the city causing many to ask if there's a shared thread between them all. Kassie Haynes and her four children lost nearly everything they owned Thursday night when their home went up in flames. Victoria Fire Marshal Tom Legler said he is unsure if the house is a total loss, but the damage was extensive. Investigators are still determining what ignited the blaze, but said they have their suspicions.
A second fire Thursday night was also heater-related. The home on Wildwood Street will survive, as will the family who was home at the time and there was a third fire on Blythe Road caused by an electrical outlet under a trailer, no one was injured there either. Legler said since the beginning of the year, thirteen building fires have been reported, which leads many to wonder if there’s a common spark. He said when it comes to fire safety, residents can never be too cautious and routine checks on all smoke detectors can also mean the difference between life and death.
The Haynes family is asking for support from the community, if you would like to help, you can contact any Wells Fargo and ask to donate on behalf of Kassie Haynes and family. However, the family said any type of donation will help so get in touch with Kassie please call her at 361-243-6157.
Copyright 2013 Saga Communications, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.